November 15, 2010 by Johanna Burani
This is a healthful twist to the much-loved Sicilian dessert that surfaces on southern Italian holiday tables especially at this time of year. It will be part of my Christmas menu this year. For a truly exquisite treat for your palate look for the freshest ricotta and the best quality dark chocolate you can find. And definitely opt for the orange flower water if you can find it.
- 15 oz (2 cups) part skim ricotta
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water* or vanilla extract
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) toasted pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- (the original flavoring used in the cannoli filling is orange flower water. This may be found in gourmet or speciality food shops)
- Combine in a blender the first four ingredients (ricotta through vanilla). Blenderize 50 – 60 seconds until very smooth.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in a covered container. Serve as a dip with freshly sliced apples or pears or biscotti.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)