November 10, 2011 by Johanna Burani
This is my friend Vanda’s recipe. She was served this unusual “primo piatto” at a restaurant in the mountains well above her village in northern Italy. She replicated it perfectly (she says) at home and has shared it with me. And now I’m sharing it with you. Buon appetito!
- 10 oz (4 long) cleaned leeks , white parts only
- 4 oz gorgonzola dolce (sweet), at room temperature
- 4 oz part skim ricotta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Cut the leeks in half horizontally into 8 pieces, each approximately 4½ “ long. Steam for approximately 25 minutes or until the leeks are very soft but still holding their shape. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Carefully cut through the outer layers and gently open. DO NOT CUT THROUGH ALL LAYERS. Depending on how thick each leek is, separate the layers and lay them on a flat surface, overlapping 3-4 layers on each other.
- To prepare the filling: in a small bowl mix together the cheeses using a fork to smooth.
- Divide the filling among the prepared leek layers and gently roll to close.
- Place the cannelloni, cut side down, in a shallow, oven-proof casserole dish, previously sprayed with vegetable oil. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the leeks, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs and the grated cheese. Broil at 4 inches from the grill for 5-6 minutes or until the leeks are golden brown. Serve immediately.