November 2, 2008 by Johanna Burani
You just can’t imagine how light and moist and tasty these cupcakes are unless you try them! Any nutritionist would agree that eating one of these treats is 186 calories well spent.
- ½ cup tub margarine or light butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ egg substitute
- ½ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 ½ cups natural applesauce
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour the appropriate cupcake tin.
- In a deep mixing bowl, cream the margarine or butter and sugar for about 1 ½ minutes at medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the egg, egg substitute and cocoa powder and mix for about 1 minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl frequently. Fold in the applesauce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the next 4 ingredients (flour through salt). Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix by hand, about 60 or 70 strokes. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake molds half to three-quarters full. Bake the large cupcakes for 22 minutes or the mini cupcakes for 15 minutes. Cool before removing from pan.