May 10, 2012 by Johanna Burani
Slice and chop, and this dessert is ready for your table! As with all fruit, serve these strawberries only in the peak of their growing season. Complementary accompaniments may include dark chocolate truffles, vanilla bean ice cream, mascarpone or zabaglione (or other custards).
- 1 lb. medium-sized fresh strawberries (about 24)
- 2 tbsp Amaretto di Saronno liqueur
- 1 oz almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (about 24)
- Place the whole strawberries in a bowl with cold water and swish them around to remove surface dirt. Drain, run under faucet water, drain again and pat dry with paper towels.
- Remove stems and leaves and create a small wedge at the top of each strawberry using a knife or small melon baller. (I use a demitasse spoon.)
- Quarter the strawberries horizontally and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the amaretto, mix well.
- Place the strawberries in individual dessert cups. Top with the almonds and serve immediately.