February 1, 2013 by Johanna Burani
Tiziana is my amazing sister-in-law. I won’t divulge her age but suffice it to say that, if she lived here in the States, her Medicare card would long be rumpled and weather beaten. Her body is riddled with arthritis but you’d never know it. She keeps a pristine house, helps in her husband’s fresh produce store, watches grandchildren, family and stray pets. and cooks fabulous meals in a flash. We spent some time visiting Tiziana and her husband, William, recently in their northern Italian home. The recipe below is just one of the scrumptious dishes she served us. Buon appetito!
- 4 large peppers (yellow, orange or red not green)
- ⅓ cup (70 ml) water
- ¼ tsp (0.4 g) salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1½ tablespoon (22 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons (6 g) seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon (4.5 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C).
- Wash and dry the peppers. Cut off tops, remove seeds and internal membranes. Slice into ⅛s.
- Place pepper strips in a 9” x11” (23 cm x 28 cm) roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, briskly whisk together water, salt, garlic and oil. Spoon over peppers. Top with breadcrumbs. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle on the parsley and serve hot.