March 1, 2013 by Johanna Burani
Leave it to the Italians to take the humdrum vegetables that everybody has been eating all winter long and ZAP! them with shout-in-your-mouth flavor. What a combination of well groomed flavors! Feel free to adjust the dressing seasonings to appease your personal palate. And, if you find a little excess dressing pooling in your plate, do what the Italians do – soak up every last drop with a piece of fresh crusty Italian bread!
- 1 lb/450 g organic new potatoes (about 20 small)
- 1 lb/450 g organic cauliflower (about 5 large florets)
- 1 lb/450 g organic broccoli (about 4 6-inch stalks)
- 12 kalamata olives, halved
- 1- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chopped capers
- ⅛ teaspoon anchovy paste
- juice of 1 lemon, freshly squeezed (about ¼ cup)
- ½ tablespoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place a steamer basket in a large pot with 1-2 inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Scrub unpeeled potatoes, cut in half widthwise and place in steamer for 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash cauliflower and broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces and set aside separately.
- When cooked, empty potatoes into a large, warmed serving bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Bring water back to a boil. Add cauliflower to steamer basket. Cover and cook for 7 minutes. When ready, add cauliflower to potatoes. Keep covered.
- Bring water back to boil. Add broccoli to steamer basket. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. When ready, add broccoli also to the serving bowl. Mix well.
- Gently add in olives.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together remaining ingredients (capers through olive oil). Pour over the vegetables and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately.