Presented to the Rocky Mountain Association of Diabetes Educators — Diabetes Education Society Educational Conference, Denver, Colorado (April 11, 2008).
- The glycemic index measures how quickly digested carbohydrates “hit” the bloodstream.
- “Tricklers” are slowly digested carbs that release a small amount of glucose into the bloodstream over an extended period of time.
- “Gushers” are quickly digested carbs that cause a rapid, accelerated rise in blood glucose levels.
- Numerous studies have clearly shown health benefits from a low GI/GL lifestyle.
- Switching to a low GI/GL lifestyle is doable and effective.